The sun is shining, it’s 20 degrees warmer than this time yesterday. That’s the Happy Dance bit, and I was feeling cheery and pleased to be alive until I did what I usually do—I went to Face Book for my usual “social” media visit to catch up and say howdy and…
Well, I should have stopped at the high point of my morning because cheery into glum and outraged and put upon and feeling mentally badgered ‘n pummeled has me asking…
Is that all there is?
‘Fraid so, fellow social networkers, because social ain’t so social anymore.
1) Agendas! No wait… F*CKING LOOK AT THIS CAUSE AND POST IF YOU AGREE. Whew, sorry bout dat, didn’t mean to make yer eyes bleed, pardner, but that’s the state of what I’m seeing on FaceBook, Google+, Tsu, Twitter and all the other so-called “social” media sites.
2) Click bait, or how to piss me off beyond reason by luring me into an endless loop of mindless drivel in the hopes of selling me something or getting a vote on an issue I have no clue is real or run by anything other than self-serving SEO surfers looking to gather data on me and mine. Whew again. I do run on when I’m pissed off.
3) Tug at heartstrings (corollary to click bait): lost pets, abused pets, abused and missing children, abused everything and everyone. Reveals! Buy tee-shirts to support, donate $$ (lots of it).
4) BUY-BUY-BUY-BUY, read my review, read my excerpt, read my blog and win, better yet, buy-my-book, like*me, love*me… When did “social” media become a BILLBOARD?
5) Platforms for Mean Girls and Trolls and people without the good sense to keep their mouths shut (virtually speaking) or folks with agendas taking umbrage and reporting other folks for behaviors/posts/comments they don’t like or find offensive and feel they have the right to judge and wield punishment via shaming and exclusion. And the corporate toadies using bots and other methods to ensure the rules are enforced without access to due process, a simple explanation, or any other manner of recourse to adjudicating said grievances.
Get. A. Clue. If you don’t like or approve of a particular community, then go away and stop agitating your tender sensibilities into an uproar and punishing people with as legitimate a reason as you to be on a “social” medium.
Oopsie, the list is morphing into a rant, A HUMP DAY RANT to boot. Mea culpa.
To atone, I shall revert to my Pollyanna persona and give you reasons to be happy this fine day (did I mention the sun’s out and it’s rather tropical out there at 24 degrees?)
Happy Hump Day Carousel of Why I Get Up in the Morning:
Now it’s your turn…
Tell me a happy, share a triumph (there are no small achievements). No prizes, no gimmicks. No judgment.